Student visas are administered by the Department of Home Affairs. The information contained in this page is a guide only, for more detailed information please visit the Department of Home Affairs' website.

Applying for a student visa

To apply for a student visa you need to obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) document and submit it with your complete student visa application. If you do not provide a complete visa application including your CoE, a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement and other required documentation at time of lodgement it may result in your visa application being delayed or refused.

An education agent may help you prepare a student visa application or apply online.

To lodge a complete application for prompt assessment, refer to the Department of Home Affairs' visa application steps.

Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF)

On 1 July 2016, the Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs) introduced the Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) to replace the previous Assessment Level framework and Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP) arrangements.

SSVF applies to all students and all programs. Under SSVF, evidentiary requirements will be based on the combined immigration risk of your country of citizenship and the education provider.

All student visa applications must now be lodged online and must be complete at the time of lodgement. This includes a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and a GTE Statement together with all supporting documentation.

You will need to meet the GTE requirement and Home Affairs may request additional information and/or interview you at their discretion.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement

You must satisfy the Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs) that you are a Genuine Student and a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE).

Home Affairs may ask you to provide more information or to attend an interview in order to determine whether you meet the criteria for grant of a visa. However, a decision may be made solely on the information provided in your application. You must therefore ensure that you lodge a complete application including a GTE Statement limited to 300 words which focusses on your particular circumstances. 

Please refer to the Instructions for your GTE Statement.  We encourage applicants to avoid generic statements and to explain concisely, in your own words:

  • things that are not clear from your application, especially those that present a risk, e.g. gap in studies
  • specifically how the program will benefit you (e.g. improved salary, future career plans), with supporting evidence
  • your incentives to return home (employment rate, financial ties etc).

Family (dependants)

If you intend to bring family members with you to Australia, you should first check with your nearest Australian Visa Office whether your visa allows for this. While you are in Australia, you will be responsible for supporting any dependants (i.e. family members).

If you are bringing your children to Australia, you must provide evidence that you are arranging for them to attend school. Tuition fees must be paid for school age dependants who study in Australia.

For more information, please refer to the Department of Home Affairs' website.

Under 18 years of age - Welfare arrangements

If you are under 18 years of age and you will not be living with a parent, legal guardian or a nominated eligible relative who is over the age of 21 years in Australia, you must get University approval for your accommodation and welfare arrangements.

You will need to apply and be accepted to live at a residence approved by the University for the period of time you are under 18. You will not be allowed to change your accommodation without the prior approval of the University.

You must have appropriate accommodation and welfare arrangements organised before you lodge a student visa application. Once you have appropriate accommodation arranged we can issue a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare letter (CAAW) with your CoE.

If you are under 18 years of age please read and complete the Under 18 - Acceptance and Accommodation Form.

For more information, please refer to the Department of Home Affairs' website.