Census Dates

  • What is a ‘Census Date’? minus-thick plus-thick

    A Census Date is the key date within each study period where your financial obligations for the courses you are enrolled in must be finalised. It is the last day which you can withdraw from a course and have it removed from your academic record without being liable for the course fees or receiving a grade. To find out the Census Dates for each Study Period, take a look at UniSA’s academic calendar.


  • How do I choose an elective? minus-thick plus-thick

    If you need to choose an elective as part of your Online Enrolment Plan, please contact your Program Director for assistance in selecting appropriate elective courses to ensure the best progression options for your degree. To get in contact with your Program Director or Course Coordinator you can find their contact details in the My Current Studies section of your student portal.

Enrolment Checklist

Enrolment Help

  • Where can I get help with the enrolment process? minus-thick plus-thick

    If you still have questions after watching the video or referring to the FAQs, please contact Campus Central for assistance. If you are unable to call from overseas, please submit an enquiry or chat with us online.

    Campus Central
    +61 8 8302 0150
    enquire/chat online

  • What is the Student Portal? minus-thick plus-thick

    The Student Portal (also know as myUniSA) is UniSA's online student portal for all the information and services you need to help manage your studies at UniSA. It’s the place where you can manage your enrolment, access your email, view your academic record, change your personal details and view student announcements.

  • How will I know if my course is open for enrolment? minus-thick plus-thick

    The open date and time for your enrolment is listed in blue text at the top of your MyEnrolment homepage. If there is no date listed, your program has already opened for enrolment and you can commence enrolling straight away. If your courses aren’t yet open for enrolment, don’t worry, you can continue with Enrolment Steps 1 and 2, which will make it easier when enrolment opens. 

  • Where can I find my Subject Area, Catalogue and Class Number? minus-thick plus-thick

    You can find all of this information on your Online Enrolment Plan which was provided to you with your Offer of Admission.

  • How do I add a course? minus-thick plus-thick

    From the MyEnrolment home page select Manage my Enrolment. Select the study period you are enrolling in from the drop-down menu and select Add Course. Here you will be asked to select the Subject Area from the drop-down list and enter the Catalogue Number which you can find on your Online Enrolment Plan. As an offshore student, you will be enrolling in external classes and these have already been chosen for you. Now click ‘search’. Find and select the class numbers you wish to enrol in. If your class is available, click the ‘Confirm selected classes’ button to enrol in the class. If you return to the Manage My Enrolment page, you will see your enrolled course listed. Repeat this process for each course you wish to enrol in for your current semester or study period.

  • What do I do if my class is full? minus-thick plus-thick

    If the Class Number you wish to enrol in is full, you will need to apply for an Override. Click onto the tab Enrolment Help then select Overrides. This will take you to an online form which you will need to fill in and submit. Your Override request may take a couple of days to be approved, especially during busy enrolment periods.

  • What happens if I don’t enrol into any courses? minus-thick plus-thick

    It is important to note that if you do not enrol, you will lose your place in the program and your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) will be cancelled which will impact your visa status. If you cannot enrol, but wish to save your place in the program, you will either need to apply for a deferral, if you are a new student, or apply for a Leave of Absence, if you are a continuing student.

  • How do I know if my course is active? minus-thick plus-thick

    You will know when your course is active as it will show as an active hyperlink. If it is greyed out, that means it has not yet been activated. If the hyperlink is not active by the start of teaching, please contact Campus Central for assistance.

Online Enrolment Plan


Student Visa

Study Periods

  • What is a study period? minus-thick plus-thick

    A study period is how we refer to ‘term’ and ‘semester’. It’s the period of time during which you will study including your induction, orientation, teaching and assessment.

    • Semester 1 = Study Periods 1, 2 and 3
      Study Period 2 is the main study period for Semester 1

    • Semester 2 = Study Periods 4, 5 and 6
      Study Period 5 is the main study period for Semester 2

    For full dates for each study period, take a look at the UniSA academic calendar and click on the applicable year.